[sugar] hiding a gtk.widget without unmapping it

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Wed Aug 22 08:36:47 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 08:13 -0400, Erik Blankinship wrote:

>         have you considered making the widget insensitive?
>
> Good suggestion, although making widgets insensitive does not make
> them invisible.

Of course, I'm just suggesting that perhaps just disabling the widget(s)
would make sense in the user experience you want to give.

In this way, perhaps it's more clear to the user why sometimes those
controls are enabled and some times are disabled.

You can ask Eben for alternative UI designs.

>         Also, try explaining what you want to do, perhaps there are
>         alternative
>         approaches to your problem.
>
> I would like to make a panel of widgets disappear when they are not
> needed in my ui, but without causing the layout manager to mess up the
> surrounding layout.
>
> Other possible solutions:
> Maybe I can use something like a tabbed panel (without showing the
> tabs)?
>

> Overwrite the widget's paint methods, and use my own "visible" flag
> when I want them to appear with a queue_draw().

Yeah, you could have a container that only draws it's children when the
flag is active.

Tomeu