[sugar] Requirements for activity and buddy properties needed

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie
Mon Aug 13 16:52:40 EDT 2007

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 at 03:16:22 +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 at 19:44:30 -0400, Eben Eliason wrote:
> > Regarding tags, I won't get into details here, but we also have ideas around
> > tags which require each tag to have an associated identity (unique ID for a
> > buddy and a color pair) for use in displaying the tags. If we do follow this
> > approach, we'll need a more complex data structure for the tag list.
>
> It's looking as though tags can't happen for Trial 3 or FRS; we certainly can't
> implement "a more complex data structure" without knowing in advance what it
> *is*, and the feature freeze date is rumoured to be Monday.

So. If we do have time to get "tag propagation across the network" into Trial 3:

* Is it acceptable for them to just be a single Unicode string that anyone can
  change, for the purposes of all the code apart from the UI?
  (which can do what it likes with that string, e.g. treating it as
  comma-separated)

* Is there something more complex we should be trying to implement by
  preference? For instance:

  - list of strings, setting them has "union" semantics
  - list of strings per user, you can tell who set what, you can't get
    rid of the tags someone else set (in which case: do the tags that they
    set go away when they leave the activity, or not?)
  - list of structs containing (insert wishlist here)

* If there are more complex things that you'd like, but we only have
  time to do something simpler, how simple can we go and still have you
  consider it to be better than nothing?

	Simon