[sugar] Requirements for activity and buddy properties needed

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie
Wed Aug 8 11:55:09 EDT 2007

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 at 11:41:55 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> I think lag is more acceptable here since the data set is larger.  We
> may be able to do this as pull rather than push.  I feel like photo
> changes shouldn't really be pushes.

On XMPP avatars (photos) are "semi-push" - the SHA-1 of the avatar is pushed
and used as a key into an avatar cache, and if the receiver doesn't have
the avatar in their cache, they pull the whole image from the server.
On Salut it's the same, except that the whole image is pulled from the
user whose avatar it is, since there's no server. Most protocols have a
similar optimization and the Telepathy API is explicitly designed with
that in mind.

	Simon