[sugar] embedding mozilla into an activity

Erik Blankinship erikb
Tue Apr 17 19:27:47 EDT 2007

> >         > Is there an example of embedding the mozilla rendering
> >         engine into a
> >         > sugar activity?
> >         >

> >         sugar/tests/test-browser.py
> >
> >         What are you doing with it?
> >
> >         Marco
> >

> > I am wondering if it might be easier to design layouts for activities
> > with html and css (instead of pycairo), but want to ensure I will be
> > able to inter-operate with sugar completely ( e.g., drag and drop).
>
> That sounds like a bad idea. We are going to build controls that will
> make it easy to get the the visual appearance and the interaction
> specified in the HIG. Throwing another graphic system in the game is
> just going to cause duplication, inconsistencies and confusion.

Perhaps there is a different approach to this...  can I run a local http
server on the xo that can function as a cgi and kids can interact with the
html it produces through the browser activity?  What would the path to that
server be?  It is possible that the local library activity might benefit
from such a server to augment/complement the static html.

Regardless of how this might be implemented, for the custom rendering of
certain components (that lie outside of the HIG (e.g., a videogame)), using
javascript & canvas & html might reduce many developers' time.  Also, for
applications that are going to run on both the xo locally and the school
server, being able to use the same rendering engine might be helpful
(maintaining a consistent look and feel across all platforms).