[sugar] eBook software

Michael Rueger michael
Sun Apr 15 22:30:03 EDT 2007

Michael Rueger wrote:
> Stephen Thorne wrote:
>
>> Is there anyone else working on software for the laptop for the
>> purpose of reading text?
>
> There is the Sophie project (http://sophieproject.org), which is both an
> authoring and reader tool. Work is currently under way to integrate it
> into the Sugar environment.

Forgot to mention that we also have a proof-of-concept importer for the
archive.org books. We have the ability to generate a picture book using
the jpgs (=very large), or using the djvu files to extract the text,
making the resulting sophie books much smaller. And also editable.

We have a start at extracting information for formatting the resulting
Sophie book as closely as possible to the original scan. We even try to
extract and crop images appropriately, but had to put the whole effort
on hold due to lack of time (read: funding).

Michael