[sugar] Alt+= console dbus problem under Debian

John J5 Palmieri johnp
Fri Apr 6 21:45:04 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 15:17 -0700, Brandon Philips wrote:
> Hello-
>
> I am running the latest version of Sugar using jhbuild under Debian[1].
> Most things work and I am able to do development on my activity.
> However, I am getting the following dbus error under both python dbus
> 0.71-3 and 0.80.2-1 when trying to pull up the console with alt+=.
>
> Any suggestions on how to fix this?
>
> $ ./sugar-jhbuild
> Extended Input Devices not yet supported. Impelement it at line 625 in
> ../../../../hw/kdrive/src/kinput.c
> Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic, removing
> from list!
>
> # I hit alt + =
>
> Introspect error: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message
> bus)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File
> "/home/philips/olpc/sugar-jhbuild/build/share/sugar/shell/view/keyhandler.py",
> line 222, in _toggle_console_visibility_cb
>     console.toggle_visibility()
>   File
> "/home/philips/olpc/sugar-jhbuild/build/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py",
> line 89, in __call__
>     return self._proxy_method(*args, **keywords)
>   File
> "/home/philips/olpc/sugar-jhbuild/build/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py",
> line 183, in __call__
>     reply_message =
> self._connection.send_message_with_reply_and_block(message, timeout)
> DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name :1.3
> was not provided by any .service files
>
> Thank You,
>
> 	Brandon

Make sure you have D-Bus 1.0.x  as 0.7x is very old and many bugs have
been fixed since then.  We are guaranteed not to work on older versions
of D-Bus and old versions of the python bindings.  Also make sure you
are not running two versions of the bus at the same time.