[sugar] rsync directory?

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpg
Mon Apr 2 06:56:36 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 10:53 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> >> That's the first time I hear of that. It would be no problem to
> >> change etoys to store projects in the home directory - but you would
> >> have to tell somebody. So what is the preferred directory layout? And
> >> there is no Journal  in Trial1, right?
> >
> > The Trial1 file based system is documented here:
> >
> > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Trial1_Software
> >
> > We have no journal so the files kids open and save are placed in the
> > home directory and backed up on the school server.
> >
> > Let's be careful about cluttering the home directory since the user
> > interface (a file picker for most activities) does not really scale a
> > lot.
>
> Well, that page is not really specific. It just says the web browser
> will be used to load content. Fine, I added the ability to launch
> etoys projects directly from the web activity. But where do I need to
> put user-created files so that they show up in the web browser?

/home/olpc or ~ more generically. This directory will be backed up on
the server and accessed through the web browser by the kids.

> subdirectory named "MyEtoys" of the home directory maybe?

In principle the home directory I think, unless there are good reasons
to use a subdir.

> Currently
> they are stored in ~/.sugar/<profile>/etoys/MyEtoys, will that show
> up in the webbrowser?

Nope.

>  Is there a way to test this? I can easily setup
> an rsync server here, but what server software will be running?

Not sure. I think wad is leading the school server effort, ccing him.

Marco