[sugar] Sugar Python environment

Dan Williams dcbw
Thu Sep 28 07:39:52 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 09:49 +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> Ian Bicking wrote:
> > Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> >> sugar-jhbuild can build python already. The problem is that we still
> >> depend on some system installed bindings. dbus and avahi that I can
> >> think of. Both runs a system daemon, so I'm not sure about the best
> >> way to deal with them.
> >
> > I was reading in the dbus documentation that even the system-level
> > daemon can be overridden by an environmental variable.  So maybe it is
> > feasible to build our own dbus?
>
> It might be possible. We need to check with J5 when he is back from aKademy.

I think it is quite possible.  However, you'd probably need a new system
dbus config file, if nothing else.  But here's the interesting part: how
does libdbus talk to the system bus?  I don't know whether the path to
the system bus' Unix domain socket is hardcoded in libdbus at build
time, or what.  We can certainly change the location of the system bus
daemon's socket in system.conf, but I'm unsure how to point libdbus
there.  It's not an environment variable like the session bus AFAIK.

Dan