[sugar] Sugar Python environment

Ian Bicking ianb
Wed Sep 27 15:54:21 EDT 2006

Owen Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 14:26 -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
>> I'm thinking that the Sugar jhbuild should probably use
>> virtual-python.py: http://peak.telecommunity.com/dist/virtual-python.py
>>
>> Alternately (and particularly if OLPC goes to Python 2.5), Python should
>> be built as part of the build process.  virtual-python basically
>> symlinks Python so it doesn't pick anything up from the global
>> installation.  It's like building a custom Python, but faster since it
>> doesn't actually build anything.
>
> I had asked for this feature, so Marco pushed python into jhbuild.  It
> was a start, but it didn't have the dbus bindings.  If we use a custom
> python, someone will need to make sure that all of the bindings olpc
> supports are actually installed by jhbuild.

When you say he pushed python into jhbuild, do you mean the $PYTHONPATH
stuff?

If we do a fully custom Python -- virtual-python.py being mostly
equivalent -- potentially dbus bindings could just be symlinked in.  If
the bindings were built, then probably dbus itself should be built, and
so on... but symlinking should just work.  Also, it would be good to
confirm the dbus version (and any other system libraries).  So,
something like:

   /usr/bin/python -c 'import os, dbus; print
os.path.dirname(dbus.__file__)'

That gives you the dbus location, to be symlinked, and maybe print
dbus.version as well, to make sure that the version matches what
everyone else is developing against.