[sugar] Interesting interface

Alan Kay alan.kay
Sat Sep 23 19:53:40 EDT 2006

I think the bare minimum would be to have a page model (a la
Hypercard, but with a more flexible approach to "documents"), dynamic
objects as "turtles with costumes", where the costumes can be
paintings, shapes, and other media objects, and have them be
scriptable using an interface that minimizes or eliminates need to
type, whose syntax is in child-friendly terms, but which has a decent
mapping to incremental, vector and other mathematics. The "pages"
should be usable directly on the Internet via a plugin, etc. (And, of
course it should be localizable ...),

A minimal approach would certainly would not have to look just like
Etoys nor be as comprehensive to be successful. Etoys in a sense is a
"demo that wouldn't die", and got shipped around the world via the
Internet to many different cultures, and thus gathered quite a bit of
experience with many thousands of children in different language
groups over the last 7 years. One of its several limitations is that
the demo and UI were aimed at 8-12 year olds, and there is not a lot
of design provision for younger or older children (both groups have
special UI needs of their own).

For several years we have been designing what we think will be a
better system with multiple UIs for different age groups (and one for
professionals as well), and just recently received a fair amount of
funding that will let us actually try out some of the new ideas. I
think the main motto for OLPC should be "Children First!", and this
means that such a scripting system should be part of the integration
of all the objects and UI needs on the machine.

Putting it in as a separate stovepiped application would be missing
the point. Much of the integration in the current OLPC design is
being done in Python, and thus the children's system could and should
be rendered as a special view/UI on the OLPC world (and there is a
possibility of doing a more powerful, more media oriented base for
Python than it now currently has ...).

Cheers,

Alan