[sugar] "Newbie" question

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpg
Sat Sep 9 18:42:38 EDT 2006

MBurns wrote:
> On 9/9/06, Marco Pesenti Gritti <mpg at redhat.com> wrote:
>> gtk 2.10... Was this before compiling gtk successfully?
>>
>> Marco
>>

> I believe I was quitting out of the build on earlier modules before
> getting to this step.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't gtk going to already be installed
> on this machine? To have things like gnome running, gtk is already
> required, no? Maybe I misunderstand something.

You have 2.8... 2.10 is required.

> Doing some yum searches, it does appear that I have gtk2 package
> version 2.8 installed. Is there a preferred place to get 2.10, then,
> seeing as it won't show up in my yum updates?

No need to install it with yum, jhbuild builds it for you. Looking at
your previous mail I think it didn't build because of
libtiff-devel/libpng-devel missing. If you install these packages and
redo the build goocanvas should build fine too.

In general skipping packages is a bad idea, unless you know what you are
doing. Better stop at the first failure and try to solve it.

Marco