[sugar] Integration with web apps (and Moodle specifically!)

Ivan Krstić krstic
Sun Sep 3 01:00:10 EDT 2006

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> Moodle is web-based groupware (it's actually a lot more than that, but
> in this context... ) so an install on each user's machine isn't very
> useful

Right, I'm familiar with Moodle; I thought you wanted to install some
kind of local client on the laptops since, when the kids are out of
school, all bets are off about connectivity to either the school server
or the Internet.

> - How likely is it that through mesh networking connectivity with the
> school server will be good? (and therefore disconnected operation not
> so important)

I don't have any strong estimates on this at the moment. I recommend
assuming the connectivity won't be good enough.

> may write a XUL-based "smart" moodle client. That's a lot of work
> though...

I'd recommend against this. We're writing an information platform that
encapsulates most all of the information on the machine: e-books, the
student's personal notebook, e-mail, et cetera. A Moodle client would
fit naturally within this, so I suggest you wait a bit until some APIs
start appearing, and then write a Moodle client as a plugin.

--
Ivan Krsti? <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | GPG: 0x147C722D