[sugar] Integration with web apps (and Moodle specifically!)

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff
Sun Sep 3 00:45:35 EDT 2006

On 9/3/06, Ivan Krsti? <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Martin Langhoff wrote:
> > Then it's not a web app framework, it's a python framework ;-)
>
> It's a web application framework written in Python. I'm not sure how you
> would generalize that, unless you're referring to the glue that connects
> a local web app with Sugar.

Granted it's a central task to have a python web app framework if
python is the tool of choice.

However, I was thinking about two tlevels of 'framework' outside of that.

One is the API to talk to sugar and other services (identity, group mgmt).

The other is deployment framework for the school or teacher machine,
which is probably more powerful, or (more importantly) just dedicated
to being a server.

> > I gather there will there be interest in a general web app framework
> > as there is a lot of stuff that is written in other
> > languages/interpreters. Yes/no/maybe?
>
> Our size constraints mean that we had to pick one interpreted language
> and won't provide others on the machine. Other languages and development
> environments will presumably be available to more advanced kids, but
> they can't be counted on by third-party application developers,
> unfortunately.

Definitely. But this is a for a client-server scenario. Clients are
using Sugar+Gecko I assume, so I will be focusing on trimming HTML to
see if we can lower in-memory footprint of rendered pages inside
Gecko. Not sure if it'll be easy, but it's worth a try...

martin