[sugar] Integration with web apps (and Moodle specifically!)

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff
Sat Sep 2 23:53:39 EDT 2006

On 9/3/06, Ivan Krsti? <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Martin Langhoff wrote:
> > - Identity mgmt. How does the OS deal with user accounts, student
> > identities and is there any way to assert that identity to a server?
>
> Identity will be detailed in an upcoming spec, but the basic idea is
> that there will be an API to a system-wide identity service that can
> verify and issue digital signatures.

Cool. I'm definitely interested.

> > Will teachers have an OLPC machine of some kind?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Will it be different? Perhaps better suited for a webserver?
>
> The hardware will be the same. The children's machines will already run
> a web server, albeit one that can only execute Python code. But we're
> planning to have a server in each school with more storage and such. In
> small schools, the server is likely to be a laptop with a specialized
> external hard drive; we're not sure about bigger schools yet, but I
> imagine those might be ones where you'd have enough firepower to run a
> thick web server and e.g. PHP.

Is the webserver Apache + mod_python or is it Python-based?

(And, given that I work with several scripting languages, I have to
ask: why is Pythion not heavy/thick. I gather it is rather the "heavy"
language OLPC has chosen to use?)

> > Most of this belongs to a web-app framework for OLPC. Either there is
> > one for me to use... or there's a task for me to build one ;-)
>
> We're building one. The only supported language on the machines is
> Python, though, so that won't be helpful with the existing Moodle

Then it's not a web app framework, it's a python framework ;-)

I gather there will there be interest in a general web app framework
as there is a lot of stuff that is written in other
languages/interpreters. Yes/no/maybe?

cheers,

martin