[sugar] First time Sugar user's experiences

Dan Williams dcbw
Mon Oct 30 11:44:42 EST 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 18:39 +0200, Teus Benschop wrote:
> Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> > Teus Benschop wrote:
> >> Probably a simple question, but why is the terminal not made an activity
> >> like the other ones, to be activated by clicking on an icon? The
> >> terminal now seems to be treated specially, because it has a special
> >> shortcut key, the F6 key. Any reasons for that? I suppose that kids
> >> probably like using the terminal like all the other activities.
> >
> > As it is now I consider the terminal activity just a debugging aid.
> > Personally I don't think we should have terminal activity exposed in
> > the sugar UI. I can't think of any use case that couldn't be covered
> > better by a GUI activity.
> Well, hmm, that probably is the case in an ideal world, ideal in the
> sense that software writers are going to stick to Sugar's handling of
> activities. But we're going to use the OLPC for other computing tasks in
> Africa, where the main thing is not gui, but that there is no power. The

That begs the question, why use sugar for these tasks at all then?  Why
do you need a GUI if you're just going to be using the command-line for
these things?

If you do want a GUI for stuff, it seems like a terrible hack to drop to
a terminal for things that users are going to be expected to do quite a
bit.  Can you describe your use-case here in a bit more detail?

Dan