[sugar] Abiword on the OLPC?

Dan Williams dcbw
Fri Oct 27 13:44:23 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-26 at 02:56 -0700, Justin Gallardo wrote:
> Hey everyone,
> I wanted to give an update to everyone with where I am on the AbiWord
> project. I have uploaded the source of the project to the olpc git
> tree at git://dev.laptop.org/projects/abiword-olpc . Please take a
> look and see if you can get it running.
>
> I have it running great using a sugar-jhbuild, but have yet to get it
> working with the development board. It would seem that with the latest
> build, there were three libraries missing on the dev board. These
> include the following:
>     enchant-devel
>     fribidi-devel
>     libgsf-devel
>
> The first two, I was able to install easily with yum, but the last one
> has caused some issues. It is failing on a dependancy for HAL and
> DBUS, two things that seem as if they should already be installed. I
> am sharing the dev board with another guy, so I haven't had a chance
> to just try and force the install with --force, but will as soon as I
> get the chance.

The problem with the current libgsf package is that it requires Gnome
VFS libraries.  We're not shipping those.  I think the real fix is to
split that package apart into libgsf and libgsf-gnome packages.

The other two, enchant and fribidi, are probably OK to pull into the B1
test images.  But after that, we need to have a discussion about what
the base system is and what's getting included.

Obviously stuff like python and GTK is getting included.  But we need to
constrain the base system package list, and beyond that list, activities
will have to include a private copy of the libraries they need, or make
a compelling case to get it in the images.  And I think only having one
or two activities use a particular library isn't that compelling of a
case.  The idea here is to see, a year or two from now, what libraries
are being used by what activities, and if it turns out there are a ton
of activities using enchant or fribidi or libgsf, then we need to look
quite hard at including that library in the images officially.

So, the action items are:
1) You need to get the OLPC Abiword bits rolled up into an RPM
2) The Fedora owner of libgsf needs to split that package, or we need to
fork it for OLPC (for the moment only) and split it ourselves

Dan