[sugar] Re: [Content] Re: Ebook content on the laptop?

Samuel Klein meta.sj
Mon Oct 23 18:40:38 EDT 2006

Hello Michael,

On 10/23/06, MBurns <maburns at gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to again ask about the process for getting articles/ebooks onto the
> Laptop. There is a professor who would be willing to donate an Introduction
> to Python Programming manuscript he has written, so I would like to help him
> along that path as much as possible.

That's good news; this is is just the kind of material we could use.

*What is the application process for people willing to donate works to the
> project? What categories of content wish to be filled? This seems to be
> loosely equivalent to writing documentation for other Open Source projects,
> and I am sure many people would be willing to contributed.

We are looking specifically for introductory material in literacy,
mathematics, and logic; language learning; introductions to computers and to
programming in general; thinking games; images and music.

We will have a public form up soon for people to directly upload materials;
for the time being, see the request for content for submitting such a
manuscripts.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Request_for_content

The Laptop will have a custom doc format for saving files and reading
> ebooks, from what I've heard. A slew of question pop to my head:
>
> *Can the OLPC provide a wiki that hosts this content and let the public
> work on it? Presumably being able to export and use the custom markup style.

We are considering a wiki that reads and writes that format for this
purpose.  At the moment, anyone who wants to start collaborating on such
materials can use the general OLPC wiki; much of the basic wiki markup will
be the same.

A script to convert from the existing Gutenberg format will be helfpul.  I
don't know that anyone has started working on that, but the format spec
should be in a sufficiently stable form to make a start at it.

--SJ