[sugar] Abiword on the OLPC?

msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au msevior
Sat Oct 21 06:15:20 EDT 2006

> On 10/20/06, Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org> wrote:
>>
>> Our primary focus in the long term is to use a wiki-based collaborative
>> editing system, currently in design.
>

> While a realtime system in the form of a native text editor (See:
> SubEthaEdita on OS X, and others) is an ideal way to get kids to
> collaborate, if a wiki-based system has been chosen, I'll look forward to
> helping with that as it becomes available.

Hi Michael,
           I should also have pointed this out. Abiword is currently
developing an advanced real-time collaborative feature similar
to sub-ethaedit, but far more capable. Check out the following
blog entries, wiki's and articles we have written about
AbiCollab, (this feature).

http://gnomejournal.org/article/31/gocollab----peer-to-peer-document-collaboration
http://msevior.livejournal.com/11512.html
http://uwog.net/blog/?p=47&stop
http://uwog.net/news/?p=49
http://uwog.net/news/?p=51

Plus a rather outdated twiki describing the internet lag correction
technique.

http://www.abisource.com/twiki/bin/view/Abiword/AbiCollab

Have a look at the animated GIF Marc put together to show AbiCollab to get
a feel for it or just build CVS HEAD AbiWord together with the AbiCollab
plugin and try it.

I'm now rather confident we're very much on the right track. Internet lag
correction works very well, as does GLOBing (complex operations like
inserting and deleting a table involving many atomic operations) as does
undo/redo.

We've focussed on getting webservice to support this feature up and
running as well connections via users own jabber accounts.

What we need for OLPC is to incorporate automatic presence detection to
allow kids to easily find each other when in range. If you're interested
in this feature we'd love to hear from you.

Drop by gimpnet#abiword on IRC if you like to chat.

Cheers

Martin