[sugar] Porting apps, which ones?

Ian Bicking ianb
Fri Oct 20 13:27:49 EDT 2006

Ivan Krsti? wrote:
> Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
>> I never tried myself, my sister mentioned it was very slow... (yeah I'm
>> using her for testing sometimes :P). That was on build 81 I think.
>
> It's certainly not out of the question to e.g. work with Google on
> making a GTK+ based, Sugar-integrated frontend to GMail, if we have to.
> It's the POP(S)/IMAP(S)/SMTP(S) and related infrastructure that we want
> to avoid.

GMail offers POP access, which is fairly good for intermittent
connections.  IMAP is better of course, in terms of keeping stuff in
sync, and I don't think GMail supports that (nor does any free service).
  Also existing mail client support for IMAP is of spotty quality.

Anyway, potentially a light GTK email client, use POP, and maybe figure
out a cohesive signup process that sets up all the pieces at once.  At
least this would let OLPC mostly punt on these issues for rev1, but
still offer a reasonable experience for intermittent connections, and
probably with better performance than what Ajax/Javascript can offer.

That leaves open a question about pinging for incoming email, which
opens up some problems with activities (which aren't meant to just run
in the background), and potentially some power usage (and network usage)
questions.

There's also some sticky issues with email and kids and a variety of
safety issues (technical an social).  I don't know if those effect the
email implementation...