[sugar] Squeak / Etoys RPMs

Ian Bicking ianb
Wed Oct 11 12:16:35 EDT 2006

Ivan Krsti? wrote:
> Ian Bicking wrote:
>> Also, should we consider leaving out .py files?  It pretty much doubles
>> the size of the code.
>
> I really don't want to leave source out. Source is text, and text
> compresses well, but having source is important to the constructionist
> ideas we subscribe to.

Certainly in principle it would make me sad to leave out source.  But
what I'm building currently actually isn't the full source, it's just
the source required to run, so things like the build instructions are
left out, and potentially tests (depending on how the activity is
factored).  So it's not a complete package anyway, and maybe supporting
two packages (akin to a rpm and rpms) would be a better over-all
solution?  OTOH, without the source the tracebacks won't be able to give
good context, and even if you aren't editing the code it's useful to
have that context.  So yeah, this probably isn't a good optimization.