[sugar] Squeak / Etoys RPMs

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpg
Tue Oct 10 18:41:23 EDT 2006

>> Remember, we're not starting from a desktop of discrete files which you
>> need to open.  Stuff in the journal will save what activity you last
>> worked on something with, and that's how it will know how to get back to
>> it.
>>

> What about files that were not created on an OLPC, such as oggs,
> theoras, pdfs, or other media?  I'm writing an RSS reader for OLPC, and
> it downloads files contained in RSS enclosures.  If there's no mimetype
> database on the system, it seems to cut olpc off from the rest of the
> world's content.

The problem of the compatibility with external content is a real one and
something we will have to think about hard. There are two ways to go
about it.

1 Decide on abstract basis that we need a file type - application
association -> Imagine use cases for it and on the base of these define
the exact requirements -> Implement a mime system.
2 Define the user experience, i.e. figure out how we want to integrate
external content inside activities in concrete (for example, what do we
want to happen when the user click a link to a pdf file in the browser?)
-> Architect a simple system that can satisfy these requirements ->
Implement it

IHMO all that the first approach can bring is an over-engineered system
and a disastrous user experience.

Marco