[sugar] Activation / Deactivation

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpg
Tue Oct 10 04:03:15 EDT 2006

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> is there a notification of activation / deactivation for an activity?
> Or do I have to watch X11 events when matchbox shuffles windows back
> and forth?

Activity is a GtkWindow so you can listen of focus-in/focus-out. See the
attached patch for an example. This way you will get
activated/deactivated also when switching to the home page or the zoom
view temporarily though. And I'm not sure if that's what we actually
want. I need to talk with Eben about it.

> I noticed etoys is happily animating and playing sounds even if it is
> not the top activity, which is most likely not desired.
>
> Is there a general policy of background activity? I guess the chat,
> for example, would continue to receive messages even when not at top.
> An animation should be stopped if nobody sees it. But what about a
> longer-running simulation? Or some time-lapse data measuring from the
> analogue input?

We should probably have a policy for this in our (planned) activity
guidelines. Can you open a ticket about this and assign it to me please?

Thanks,
Marco