[sugar] Re: [oats-sig] OLPC and AT

Dan Williams dcbw
Mon Nov 27 13:28:48 EST 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-24 at 14:08 +0000, Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:
> It seems that a touchscreen has been rejected by OLPC, though this
> isn't certain.
> It's hard to understand how the proposed OLPC paint program would be
> used effectively.

Remember that the touchpad is dual-mode.  It has capacitive and
resistive parts.  The center is both capacitive _and_ resistive, while
the outer parts are resistive only.  That means you can use _any_ hard
object (though not a sharp one!!) like a fingernail or a stick or a
wooden dowel to draw on the large area of the touchpad.  That's the
mechanism that takes the place of a touchscreen display, and one that
also accomodates writing in languages that cannot be correctly
represented on a keyboard (japanese, chinese, thai, etc).

The resistive part also uses absolute positioning, just like a
touchscreen does.

Dan