[sugar] Error while launching sugar on Edgy

Dan Williams dcbw
Sun Nov 19 21:16:51 EST 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 22:07 +0000, bryan barnard wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just recently built sugar on Ubuntu Edgy (everything out of the box,
> then followed the procedure on the wiki
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_on_Ubuntu_Linux). Building works fine,
> but I run into trouble when I try ./sugar-jhbuild run, yielding the
> following error:
>
> Introspect error: The name org.laptop.DCONManager was not provided by
> any .service files
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/home/raphael/sugar/sugar-jhbuild/build/bin/sugar-nm-applet",
> line 37, in ?
>     app = nmclient.NMClientApp()
>   File "/home/raphael/sugar/sugar-jhbuild/build/share/sugar/services/nm/nmclient.py",
> line 459, in __init__
>     self.nminfo = nminfo.NMInfo(self)
>   File "/home/raphael/sugar/sugar-jhbuild/build/share/sugar/services/nm/nminfo.py",
> line 323, in __init__
>     self._dbus_helper = NMInfoDBusServiceHelper(self)
>   File "/home/raphael/sugar/sugar-jhbuild/build/share/sugar/services/nm/nminfo.py",
> line 285, in __init__
>     bus_name = dbus.service.BusName(NM_INFO_IFACE, bus=bus)
>   File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/dbus/service.py", line 24, in __new__
>     retval = dbus_bindings.bus_request_name(bus.get_connection(), name)
>   File "dbus_bindings.pyx", line 1780, in dbus_bindings.bus_request_name
> DBusException: Connection ":1.21" is not allowed to own the service
> "org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo" due to security policies in the
> configuration file
>
> Has anybody got this error and found a solution ? It looks like
> something is trying to get a lock on a service in the namespace owned
> by the DBus protocol.

This is the NetworkManager applet trying to register it's
NetworkManagerInfo service.  If you're not running NetworkManager,
you'll need to install the service file in /etc/dbus-1/system.d/ and
restart dbus.  You can get it here:

http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/NetworkManager/gnome/applet/nm-applet.conf?rev=1.2

We should probably handle this case gracefully in the applet.

Dan