[sugar] Python Style Guide

Ian Bicking ianb
Tue Nov 14 11:05:19 EST 2006

Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:

>> >For simple public data attributes, it is best to expose just the
>> attribute name, without complicated >accessor/mutator methods
>>
>> I'm not sure I like this... It's quite unusual for non python coders.
>> If we want to keep it we should probably elaborate more on it in the
>> guide.
>

> With this method, how do you find out which attributes are supported
> other than by reading the code? Is there a way to document them?
>
> /me should probably just read about python attributes

You can do dir(obj) to get a list of attributes and functions.

There's a couple other ways to do documentation:

* If it's a property (a dynamic attribute) you can add a docstring.
Some (but sadly not many) tools know how to read this.

* If it's a class attribute, some documentation extractors will read
preceding comments or strings.  For instance attributes you can place a
default value as the class attribute.

* help() apparently is stupid and doesn't work on instances.  This
surprises me.  It will show class attributes when you get the help for a
class.

* You can create an interface, which is an abstract description for an
object.  There are conventions for how to represent attributes there,
that includes documentation.

* Obviously free-form documentation always works; e.g., put it in the
class docstring.