[sugar] Re: ftable issue in csound/sugar

Simon Schampijer simon
Fri Nov 3 17:34:33 EST 2006

I can see the issue here. The problem is that if the daemon is running
the soundcard will be blocked. I you want to start another app (like a
csound command line) you will be informed that the soundcard is already
in use.

There are two 'solutions' to that problem: One is to add dynamic loading
of instruments to csound5, which will take some time even so Barry and I
discussed this already. So for B1 this is not realistic.
The other one is to use the dmix mechanism of alsa to allow to have
virtual devices for your soundcard and are able to use the device from
different apps at the same time.

I had a look at dmix a few month ago and it worked ok - we would have to
test it again in a 'real' situation.
   Simon