[sugar] System bus and multiple instances

Robert Staudinger robert.staudinger
Tue Jul 25 13:31:57 EDT 2006

On 7/25/06, Robert McQueen <robert.mcqueen at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
> Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> > looks like we are using system bus for the presence  service now... Is
> > it still possible to run multiple copies of sugar on the same box? I
> > think we should not give that up easily because it's really useful for
> > testing.
>
> Blergh, is there a reason it's on the system bus? Running on the session
> bus makes it much easier to run multiple sessions, and also the security
> policy on the session bus allows things like dbus-monitor to snoop
> messages, making debugging easier. The system bus should only be used
> for situations where you want user stuff to speak with priveleged
> per-machine daemons such as hal, network manager or avahi.

<robsta> dbus_bindings.DBusException: Failed to connect to socket
/home/rob/Desktop/Devel/sugar-jhbuild/build/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket:
No such file or directory
<dcbw> robsta: ah yes, ok, that's an issue :)
<dcbw> robsta: the other issue is that we can't really start up two
copies of Avahi, so we have to use the already-running system bus
<dcbw> robsta: with the already running copy of avahi

Cheers,
Rob(sta)