[sugar] Re: [OLPC-devel] Python bindings for tinymail, a call for help

Philip Van Hoof spam
Tue Aug 8 08:54:30 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 19:53 -0400, Ivan Krstic wrote:
> Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> > The library is nice, but it doesn't give us what we need - a nice,
> > small, easy to use client.

Like this one? It's a demo, but functional.

https://svn.tinymail.org/svn/tinymail/trunk/libtinymail-test/tinymail-python-test.py

Nokia (and kernelconcepts) is/are also working on "Modest" which will be
an E-mail client on top of tinymail. It will have the possibility to
attach different user interfaces and different user interface styles.

Modest will be released very soon. Which OSS license it will get is yet
unknown.

> ... that integrates with the rest of the system. I spoke to Philip on
> IRC; there are things that he can implement in libtinymail that would go
> a long way towards resolving our backend e-mail issues (storage,
> threading, indexing, etc). If that can get done adequately, I'll feel
> comfortable committing to using the library on the backend; the frontend
> will wind up in Yellow. Not for October, but certainly ought to by next
> year.

It would be interesting to know what is needed in the tinymail framework
to make it possible to use tinymail this way. So any information or
ideas are very welcome.

Note that one other person has committed himself to creating language
bindings for PHP. Among the language bindings, he will be testing and
investigating what in tinymail needs changes for it to be usable as a
web application (or a framework for such applications).

The same work will of course also be available in the Python bindings.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
work: vanhoof at x-tend dot be