[SoaS] [Sugar-devel] Sugar on Fedora looking forward

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Jul 12 01:07:17 EDT 2018

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 11:08:48AM +0800, Kalpa Welivitigoda wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 7:52 AM James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 09:35:47AM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> > > Hello All,
> > >
> > > This is intended to ask questions and seek feedback.
> > >
> > > I've not really had time to deal with Sugar for some time, but it also
> > > doesn't tend to take up a lot of time so it's not been a major
> > > problem, we glue it together when it breaks etc.
> > >
> > > Kalpa has done a good job keeping most of the Activities up to date.
> > >
> > > But there's a number of things that are getting to the point where
> > > they'll need action or they'll break so I'd like to gather details
> > > from the Sugar community what their plans are here to see if it's
> > > worthwhile continuing the Fedora support of Sugar.
> > >
> > > 1) gstreamer 1.0 support in Activies. The 0.10 series is well and
> > > truly dead and unmaintained, but there's a couple of key Activities
> > > that still depend on it. Clock and Record are the two big ones here.
> > > Are there any plans to move them to gst1?
> >
> > They were moved.  Check the release announcements and the tarball
> > directories.
> >
> > http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/honey/Clock/Clock-20.tar.bz2
> > http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/honey/Record/Record-200.tar.bz2
> >
> > > 2) GTK2 sugar-toolkit, again a number of Activities still haven't
> > > moved to gtk3, any plans?
> >
> > Yes.  We have a contributor working on that now, so please make sure
> > we know which ones Fedora think are still GTK+ 2.  Time critical.
> >

> I found the following packages in Fedora still not moved to GTK3.

Thanks, that saves me lots of time.  I'll review each below and make
suggestions as your upstream.

Summary; package new releases of sugar-paths, sugar-recall, and
sugar-recall.  Wait for releases of, or package from git,
sugar-countries, sugar-deducto, subar-labyrinth, sugar-playgo, and
sugar-view-slides.

> sugar-analyze

Stop packaging this.  It has no useful features and no upstream
maintainer.

https://github.com/sugarlabs/analyze/issues/9

> sugar-calendario

Port planned.  Missing maintainer.

https://github.com/sugarlabs/calendario/issues/1

> sugar-castle

Port needed.  No GitHub repository yet.  Missing maintainer.

http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4397

http://dev.laptop.org/git/projects/connect-activity/

> sugar-countries

Port completed.  Upstream release needed.  Missing maintainer.

https://github.com/sugarlabs/countries-activity

https://github.com/sugarlabs/deducto

> sugar-flipsticks

Port in progress.  Code review pending.  Missing maintainer.

https://github.com/sugarlabs/flipsticks/pull/3

> sugar-kuku

Port needed.  Missing maintainer.

http://git.sugarlabs.org/kukuanakula
http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4526

> sugar-labyrinth

Port completed by two different people (!).  Source repositories in
conflict.  Upstream release needed.  Missing maintainer.

https://github.com/sugarlabs/laybrinth-activity
https://github.com/sugarlabs/laybrinth-activity/issues/1

> sugar-moon

Port needed.  Missing maintainer.

https://github.com/sugarlabs/moon-activity

An alternative is the Moon activity from the Sugarizer hostile
fork, which was fixed by Sebastian last year;

https://github.com/zhirzh/sugarizer-activity-moon/pull/13

> sugar-paths

Please upgrade.  Port was completed and released as v20 as git tag,
and a bundle, but without a tarball.

https://github.com/sugarlabs/paths/releases (tagged)
http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4409 (bundle)
http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/honey/Paths/ (missing)

https://github.com/sugarlabs/playgo-activity

> sugar-recall

Please upgrade.  Port was completed and released as v6 as git tag, and
a bundle, but without a tarball.

https://github.com/sugarlabs/recall/releases
http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4567
http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/honey/Recall/ (missing)

> sugar-record

Please upgrade.  Port was completed and released as v200 as git tag
and a tarball.

https://github.com/sugarlabs/record-activity/releases
http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/honey/Record/ (tarball)

https://github.com/sugarlabs/viewslides

> sugar-xomail

Port needed.  No GitHub repository yet.  Missing maintainer.

http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/sweetmail (abandoned work in progress)

For the situations above where a port is completed but upstream has
not given you a release, you might cherry pick or rebase your package
from git.

> > > 3) eToys, we've not shipped this by default for some time, I plan on
> > > retiring it and any of it's dependencies in Fedora 29. Good riddance
> > > sugar-presence-service!
> >
> > I've no news on this one.  Best to contact Etoys project.
> >
> > > 4) This is the big one... python2. With python2 being EOL real soon
> > > now is there any interest in moving to py3, I know there was some work
> > > years ago to do some readiness here with the move to gtk3 but I don't
> > > remember the details. Fedora is actively moving to python3 and has
> > > been for some years, I think for at least 6 releases it's been
> > > possible to run without py2 installed at all. Is this the nail in the
> > > coffin for Sugar?
> >
> > Our port to Python 3 is going well.  We have good working code in pull
> > requests and branches, and plan to merge it once we have the critical
> > components complete.  Our plan is in the GitHub projects tab for the
> > organisation.
> >
> > Your downstream transition plan can be one of;
> >
> > - package sugar-toolkit-gtk3 as both Python 2 and Python 3, so that
> >   Python 3 activities can be packaged, and so that Python 2 packages
> >   you have now need not be rushed into Python 3,
> >
> > - package sugar-toolkit-gtk3 as only Python 3, and make sure all your
> >   Python 2 activity packages are either dropped or ported to Python 3.
> >
> > > Also with my note above about time and the points in between are there
> > > still people interested in Sugar on Fedora? Anyone interested enough
> > > to assist?
> >
> > I agree, downstreams need help, it's a big job to keep this
> > maintained.
> >

> > > Peter
> >
> > --
> > James Cameron