[SoaS] [Sugar-devel] Sugar 0.112 on Fedora 28 SoaS

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Apr 19 21:03:14 EDT 2018

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 09:34:03AM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 7:00 AM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 11:31:39PM +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
> >> We're in Beta freeze for Fedora 28.
> >
> > Thanks for the update.
> >
> > Our How To install Sugar on Fedora is here;
> > https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/blob/master/docs/fedora.md
> >
> >> We have Sugar 0.112, there's
> >> nightly images for the various architectures at the URLs below. Please
> >> test so we don't end up in a situation like last cycle where people
> >> were testing at the last moment before release.
> >>
> >> http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub//fedora/linux/development/28/Spins/x86_64/iso/
> >> http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/development/28/Spins/armhfp/images/
> >> http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora-secondary/development/28/Spins/i386/iso/
> >
> > These links very unreliable; have to keep hitting them until the
> > redirector leads me to an up to date mirror.
> >
> > I've tested Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-28-20180312.n.0.iso and
> > updated the How To ... 01941aa.
> >
> > Most of Sugar works, as do the included activities.
> >
> > Issues were;
> >
> > - the Write activity flickers, due to AbiWord event handling flaw,
> >   Sugar Labs #4915, Fedora #1287835, AbiSource #13791, with Debian and
> >   Ubuntu carrying my patch,
>
> I did look at that patch at some point but I don't remember why it wasn't added.
>
> > - the Paint activity starts but the mouse does not draw on the canvas,
> >   we have a fix committed but not yet released, and the fix is
> >   effective on Fedora 28,
> >   https://github.com/sugarlabs/paint-activity/commit/a8828f162606b6eed847b0444f156ac1c95b6866
> >   https://github.com/sugarlabs/paint-activity/issues/29
>
> Pushed.
>
> > - the Words activity fails to start, citing PyGObject Namespace WebKit
> >   not available, for 3.0, we have a fix committed but not yet
> >   released, and the fix is effective on Fedora 28,
> >   https://github.com/sugarlabs/words-activity/commit/ae8ccca439f34f99df6fb7a34313ab57af9e5e9e
> >   https://github.com/sugarlabs/words-activity/issues/12
>
> Its looks like that patch was already in the 22 we had, I've pushed 23 anyway
>
> > - the Ruler activity fails to start, with a Cairo assertion and
> >   SIGABRT, https://github.com/sugarlabs/ruler/issues/4
> >
> > - My Settings (control panel) - Network does not render, traceback
> >   says PyGObject Namespace NMClient not available, workaround is to
> >   hit escape,
> >   http://dev.laptop.org/~quozl/z/1evdqY.txt
> >
> > - My Settings - Software Update offers Memorize-52 to -53, Clock-19 to
> >   -20, and Pippy-66 to -71, so these are likely packaging lag,
> >
> > - for each activity, the activity toolbar description entry icon is
> >   not rendered,
>
> Is there a bug for this?

No upstream bug.  For the moment it only happens on Fedora.  My guess
is widget style defaults changed by GTK+ upstream.

> > - after testing each activity once, there were about 3283
> >   PyGIDeprecationWarning messages written to logs.
>
> Is there a tracking bug for this?

No upstream bug.  For the moment it only happens on Fedora.  My guess
is GTK+ or PyGObject API changes to message severity.

> > Installing Fedora Workstation was very slow, and it performed poorly
> > once installed, especially logging in, logging out, and using the
> > GNOME desktop.  I wasn't able to identify a cause for delays.
>
> What sort of HW, it's not really related to Sugar TBH but there's
> known issues with low resourced devices. Hack fest in May to hopefully
> deal with most of it:
> https://wiki.gnome.org/action/show/Hackfests/Performance2018

Thanks.  VirtualBox on eight-core i7 at 2.8 GHz.

> > Performance of Sugar desktop was normal.
> >
> >> One thing to note is there will be a newer CSound package landing
> >> shortly, it's been upgraded from 6.03 to the latest 6.10 and I've no
> >> idea if the API has changed and if it will affect any of the
> >> Activities using it. You'll be able to testing by doing a "dnf
> >> upgrade" once booted.
> >
> > Not to worry, none of the activities in SoaS import csound.
>
> Memorize use to depend on it, seems that has since changed.

Yes.  54307b1 in 2009 by Aleksey Lim for v30.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/