[SoaS] How to: Partially working Fedora 26 Sugar on a Stick on the XO-1

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Dec 27 22:10:28 EST 2017

On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 08:33:41PM -0600, Ethan wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I was able to make my own kernel 4.15 for the XO-1 in order to boot SoaS Fedora
> 26 on the XO-1. Here is how I did it. I would like help fixing the
> bugs.

help in the form of advice below.

> Instructions
> --------------------------------------
>
> the xo needs to be unlocked with dev key
> AND update firmware to latest version otherwise new kernel doesn't boot!
>
> download soas i386 iso Fedora-SoaS-Live-i386-26-1.5 from
> [1]http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora-secondary/releases/26/Spins/i386/iso/
>
> put soas i386 iso in vmware
> connect 4gb+ usb drive to it and share in vmware
> give yourself a name, color, grade
> open terminal, run
>
> sudo liveinst
>
> select sdb1 as device
> go to custom partitioning
> delete all partitions
> create "/" as standard, ext2! not ext3 or ext4
> set / type to standard not lvm!
> change / partition label to "SoaS" EXACTLY
> click update settings
> click done multiple times, accept changes
> click begin installation
>
> click root password. type olpc for root password, click done twice
> make user olpc with admin, password also olpc (for compatibliity with old
> activities), click done twice
>
> when installer done (note: it will say 100% for a long time):
> close installer
>
> reboot vm by clicking reboot on xo guy. NOT by closing window
> run in terminal
>
> cd /run/media/liveuser/SoaS
> curl -Lo /tmp/a.zip [2]parrotgeek.com/downloads/xofix.zip
> sudo unzip /tmp/a.zip
> sudo cp boot/initramfs*i686.img boot/xoinitrd.img
>
> note: the kernel in xofix.zip is from: [3]https://github.com/parrotgeek1/
> linuxXO

thanks, i'll review those patches.

you might compare some of the kernel config changes against my work on
this last year;

http://dev.laptop.org/git/olpc-2.6/commit/?h=olpc-4.8&id=4731695ff517ccb145e60d68acd2f7f15eb4ab6b

and your dcon changes look a bit like mine;

https://github.com/parrotgeek1/linuxXO/commit/8d0c96ebf50b6584f027998cf334df9cd598c16b
http://dev.laptop.org/git/olpc-2.6/commit/?h=olpc-4.8&id=e6f94ddd3c4227bb0367e6048f95bac5b09c9389

> SHUT DOWN the vm by clicking shut down on xo guy. NOT by closing window
>
> do NOT reboot from the USB on a computer other than XO!
>
> then plug the usb into xo and boot! it should work
>
> ----------------------------
>
> Critical Bugs:
>
> !!! When Xorg starts there is a weird LCD fade effect like DCON hardware is
> being initialized wrong

yes, i've seen that.  i've no idea what caused it, but it should be
easy to find using git bisect.  suspect console dpms switching.

> 5+ minute boot time due to firewalld, sssd failing to start.

interesting, thanks.  i've no idea why that should be a problem.

> After login, XO sits for a very long time at only a mouse cursor, with the mic
> light on

you might attach serial adapter or use ssh to diagnose the system at
this point.  the mic light can be ignored for the moment, i think, as
the audio driver has changed since we last had it working.

> Screen is not scaled to 200 DPI. Attempts to copy xorg.conf from an XO image
> resulted in Xorg not starting. Also, Xorg is using fbdev not geode.

yes, x server has changed, you'll need to adapt the xorg.conf
accordingly.  also make sure a geode driver is present.

> no wifi (Need firmware. Also no kernel modules are loading)

yep, fix kernel module loading, fix firmware loading; which is
different in later kernels to what it once was.

> Impossible to open frame with mouse unless change corner size to
> 5px, maybe dpi issue?

you might use xdotool to print the cursor position and compare to the
display dimensions shown by xdpyinfo.

> Rotate button doesn't work (maybe because it isn't using geode
> driver)

because olpc-kbdshim isn't used.

> Power management does not work at all.

use olpc-powerd.

> Disk and Wifi lights don't work.

don't think we had disk lights working on xo-1.

wifi lights will work once you have wireless firmware and libertas
driver loaded.

> webcam does not work (No modules are loading)

once you fix module loading, you may find the ov7670 module won't work
with the camera anymore, as it got changed since it last worked.  hit
that myself when i was looking at v4.9.

> On keyboard, the increasing size dots, and 2 boxes overlapping keys
> do not work

use olpc-kbdshim.

> Brightness keys work but super slow to change brightness

in the absence of olpc-kdbshim support, sugar receives the key press
event and uses a shell script to handle the keys.  this is very slow,
as it rises through consolekit.

> it doesn't see the nand (driver loads but fail to init)

that's a new bug since v4.8; jffs2 and nandflash were working fine for
me then.  use git bisect.

> /ofw not mounted

interesting.  guess the driver may have been removed, or by not
including olpc-utils the filesystem was not mounted.

> Cosmetic bugs:
>
> Not asked for name at first boot, instead it is "olpc"

not a bug; that's a deliberate soas feature.

> Login screen shows instead of auto login

not a bug; that's a deliberate soas feature.

> [SoaS bug] Loading mouse cursor is the gnome one not xo one

think the sugar mouse cursor was removed, as sugar steals the gnome
setting, and it infects gnome desktop when it is used.  have a look at
the fedora packaging patches.

> Hostname is localhost not like xo-4b-e0-31

that's a feature of olpc-utils, not soas.

> Sudo needs a password

that's a feature of olpc-utils, not soas.

> [VTE bug] "777 notify command completed" in terminal

that's a bug in fedora, known for years.  it does not happen on debian
or ubuntu.

> No splash screen or shutdown screen

that's a feature of olpc-powerd, not soas.

> Need to decrease activity launch animation rate like xo official
> image does

indeed, the animation consumes most of the available processor
resources; and i fixed that years ago.  you can see the customisation
in olpc-os-builder.

> It shows "Log out" in xo menu

that's a normal feature of sugar.  olpc-os-builder removes it.

> Ctrl+Alt+F1...F5 don't work

no idea, but check the keyboard mapping, and test with chvt.

> Ctrl+Alt+Backspace don't work. It can be re-enabled by setting the DontZap
> xorg.conf option to False

it hasn't worked for years, intentionally.

> OLPC specific tools missing
> Probably other things I haven't thought of

yes, lots and lots.  soas is not olpc os, they have diverged.

> Good luck,
> Ethan Nelson-Moore

sounds like fun, well done!

--