[SoaS] [Sugar-devel] SOAS

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 04:02:35 EDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 2:59 AM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> Inline quoted reply.
>
> On Wed, Sep 09, 2015 at 12:46:37PM +1100, David Leeming wrote:
>> Well my old Toshiba laptop for instance, a Qosmio i7, a few years
>> old but was a $2000 laptop when new. On this I can't boot and run
>> SOAS. It never completes booting, you go through the name, colour,
>> gender, school grade but then it just shows the blank screen with
>> only the mouse cursor screen never getting as far as the Sugar Home
>> View..
>
> Isn't that bug #1240354 that we've all been talking about on
> sugar-devel@?  If so, it has nothing to do with hardware
> compatibility, you've just imagined it has.  ;-)

I'm not sure it is, I don't believe we even get that far, and I don't
believe the source of the virt images he mentions has pre release
images such as beta.

> Try Fedora or 32-bit build instead?

If it was a 32 vs 64 bit issue it wouldn't even boot the kernel

>> Tested on a few of these - Lenovo Q190 desktop computer - using the
>> 32 bit or 64 bit version that worked (can't remember but we tried
>> both), it boots OK but freezes after starting a few
>> activities. Could that be the activity rather than the OS?
>
> Sounds like you tried a 32-bit build?

Why would a 32 bit build have these issues.

>> As I said, on a very old Asus EEE PC 1005H model, it works very
>> reliably every time.
>
> Isn't that a 32-bit system?  (N270 lacks Intel 64 feature).

Again, it should be irrelevant, I run both 32 and 54 bit variants on
appropriate HW without issues, 32 bit will run fine on 64 bit, 64 just
won't even boot on 32 bit.

>> Could it be the LinuxLive USB Creator installer that is to blame?

Possibly the usb key, have you tried more than one?