[SoaS] [Sugar-devel] Testing Sugar Activities Fedora-Live-SoaS-i686-21_Beta-4

Iain Brown Douglas iain at browndouglas.plus.com
Fri Nov 28 05:12:38 EST 2014

I am very sorry, Peter, that I did not realise that you had applied a
patch within 75 minutes of being made aware of it. Thank you for that.

More than one could expect from the most dedicated maintainer - a pity
you did not say though!

I mistakenly thought that your reply was, "Before my time, Guv", the
opportunity to test a patch was now closing, and that your point:

"The question is what does it do, and why when Speak has been
working for years does it suddenly break."

was still hanging in the air.

I regret that I made my comment terse in this respect: while I have
occasionally seen the issue:
Alice "I don't know what you are talking about?", whenever I tried to
chase it down it disappeared.

So I had opened up all the SoaS media I have. I compared the change logs
of Speak with the release dates of SoaS. In every examined case, prior
to the excellent Speak-48, there was a new version of Speak shortly
after each new SoaS.

This meant that, on Software update, the missing
/usr/share/sugar/activities/Speak.activity/bot in the sugar.iso
was replaced by ~/Activities/Speak.activity/bot and the issue was not
seen.

I went straight to a hare-brained solution, instead of just reporting
what I saw.

Iain