[SoaS] Etoys in Sugar was: SoaS v10 testing and a few minor issues with 0.100

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Nov 20 00:23:44 EST 2013

On 19.11.2013, at 17:33, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> This was ticketed here,
>>> https://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/4415
>>
>> Ah. I even commented on that, apparently :)

>> This is a rather non-trivial change to Etoys, whereas keeping the sugar-presence-service emulation around is pretty trivial.
>>
>> Yes it would be good to do it, no I have not had the time. Nor someone else.
>
> You've had 3 odd years.

Yes. It never got to the top of my priority list. Mea culpa.

>> But made Etoys work even if the emulated presence service is not around. So everything except collaborating should work fine.
>
> How? what release, how was it communicated?

Etoys 5. We last talked about it on the SoaS list on June 7 2012. I wrote in reply to Manuel Kaufmann:

"With regard to sharing, the only difference between Etoys 4 and Etoys 5 is that
Etoys 5 will still work if the presence service fails, whereas Etoys 4 showed
an error on startup."

>> Yes.
>
> Care to elaborate?

The startup error "cannot find image file: squeak" is not related to the presence service at all, because it happens before Etoys is even started up. So, "yes, this looks like a different problem". But without further information I can not elaborate, unfortunately.

- Bert -