[SoaS] Plans for SoaS v9

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 12:33:56 EDT 2013

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 4:23 PM, Rodolfo D. Arce S. <rolf at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> I realize that this is not merely a whishlist, but I would like to see
> added to the SoaS all other packages that are also present in the OLPC
> 12.1 build. I noticed just recently (because i haven't been using my
> XO for a while) that the standard OLPC build has the gnome (and
> desktop switcher) and several applications for it installed allong
> with the Sugar envirment.

I'm working as I get the time, along with Kalpa, to get the Sugar
Activities to the same list as OLPC ships. The biggest missing ones at
the moment is the Tam Tam suite.

We're not going to ever ship the gnome desktop as part of the SoaS
spin, but there's nothing to stop people installing it side by side
with SoaS if you install it to hard disk.

> It basically adds more packages, and I understand that it makes it
> harder to maintain, but it seems to me that it would be good to have
> the same enviroment for the SoaS as for the OLPC "desktop".

>From the sugar side of things we are basically the same. The distro is
based on the same package set and being derived from Fedora there's
nothing to stop you from installing gnome if it's what you want to do,
we don't have the resources to provide the support for it out of the
box.

> This was probably discussed before, but i would think that providing
> the same enviroment could help spread Sugar to a regular more wider
> audience of i686 (or x86_64) bit desktop or notebook/netbook owners.

>From the sugar side of things we are basically providing the same
environment. There's a few minor differences but not much. If there's
a particular sugar feature you feel is missing please let me know.
GNOME is not a missing feature... it's intended.

Peter