[SoaS] Plans for SoaS v10

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 14:28:23 EDT 2013

Hi All,

In the planning for v10 (wow where's 5 yearrs gone!) which will have
sugar 0.100 or what ever it's called!

Fedora 20 is now running just fine (I've been testing a gtk3 only
setup in a VM). There's nightly images below i686[1]and x86_64[2] as
well as ARMv7 images [3][4]. The latest nightly x86 livecds [5] and
ARM images [6] can be found at the links.

There are a number of of other changes I plan to make:
* gwebsockets is packaged and the WebServices control panel at least
displays. Do we plan/want to package any default services?
* cSound has been rebased to 5.19.1 (I might go to v6 between now and
release) so TamTam and friends will need to be well tested.
* I plan to drop sugar-presence-service which will impact eToys if
they don't convert it over before Fedora 20 beta (they've had over 3
years and been asked repeatedly to fix it and have constantly ignored
polite requests).

While I would like to drop gtk2 activities I don't think we'll make it
this release cycle but I would love someone to covert Record to
gtk3/gstreamer1 because it's one of the few Activities we ship that
depends on gstreamer 0.10 and the support for that is waning.

On another note I'm somewhat annoyed with people that don't bother to
test the images prior to release yet tell me how important they are
and that the SoaS pages are the most visited in the wiki so I'll be
watching this cycle and if there's no interest in the lead up to
release (release cycle here [7]) Soas v10 might just be the last.

Peter

[1] http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=5790715
[2] http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=5790716
[3] http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=5789749