[SoaS] [Sugar-devel] About installing Sugar on a stick... with "--format"

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 11:35:26 EDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-10-09 at 13:01 +0200, Coltivare Fiori wrote:
> > The first real problem that I found looking into Sugar was that I was
> > not able to create a SoaS following the instructions at
> > http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Linux
> >
> > This looks important to me, because I think that it is hard to imagine
> > what Sugar is without seeing one running, and to have one run, the
> > preferred way is a SoaS.
> >
> > I eventually solved my problems by using (with the USB key mounted) the
> > "--format" option for livecd-iso-to-disk, like this
> >
> > /media/soas/LiveOS/livecd-iso-to-disk --reset-mbr --format
> > --overlay-size-mb 500 --home-size-mb 800 --delete-home
> > --unencrypted-home /path/to/Fedora-17-i686-Live-SoaS.iso /dev/sdX
> >

> Think if you use --delete-home you will always have a fresh new sugar
> installation upon reboot, as the home directory will be will be
> re-created. As a test can you boot SoaS set the name/color, do some
> actions that write to the journal, then reboot and note if the journal
> entries are preserved.
>
> Jerry

Not so.  See livecd-iso-to-disk --help

    --delete-home
        To prevent unwitting deletion of user files, this option must be
        explicitly selected when the option --home-size-mb <size> is
selected
        and there is an existing persistent home directory on the target
device.

(A non-persistent SoaS can be made by not using the --home-size-mb and
--overlay-size-mb options.)

         --Fred