[SoaS] [Sugar-devel] Etoys in RC4 SoaS-v7 does not start when jabber is connected. ( f17 release is imminent )

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Jun 6 11:46:01 EDT 2012

On 06.06.2012, at 14:44, Manuel Kaufmann wrote:

> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 1:49 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>> Again, Etoys 5 starts fine, Etoys 4.1 not. But we cannot really test distro stuff if it has not been packaged yet.
>
> I found Etoys 5 already compiled here[1], I download it and tested on
> XO 1.5 os12. Here is my report:
>
> I could start it without any problem, everything was OK, I could play
> and test some Example Project but when I tried to "Share" the activity
> clicking on the "Share button" and then on "My Neighbourhood" I get
> this error:
>
> * Screenshot: http://mkaufmann.com.ar/~humitos/olpc/Captura%20pantalla%20de%20_Etoys_%20Gallery_.png
> * Log: http://fpaste.org/oAPi/

This is expected, kind-of anyway. If the presence service was still working correctly, then we would not have had the startup error in the first place. Etoys 5 just ignores the presence service errors on startup, so you can use it locally, at least. Etoys 4 showed the error right away, which in a way is better since it alerted people that the presence service was broken. (The presence service has been deprecated for a long time, so I couldn't complain about it being broken)

Both Etoys 4 and Etoys 5 work fine with the presence service in Sugar 0.94 (tested on XO-1.5, 11.3.1 build 885).

I am re-implementing the presence service in Etoys, but this is going to take a while longer. If you want sharing to work with Etoys right now, the easiest would be to fix the presence service (which is a Python task, so may be easier for you).

- Bert -