[SoaS] Fwd: [Sugar-devel] 3 Questions From A New Sugar User Age 21

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 10:56:26 EST 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ma Xiaojun <damage3025 at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 10:49 AM
Subject: [Sugar-devel] 3 Questions From A New Sugar User Age 21
To: sugar-devel at lists.sugarlabs.org

Hi, all.

If I select a wrong list, please let me know.

I'm an undergraduate and an enthusiastic Linux user. I joined a OLPC
event in Hong Kong recently. I appreciate OLPC's principles. In
particular, I find OLPC XO's software interesting, which is based on
Sugar.

So, I tried SoaS (http://spins.fedoraproject.org/soas/) today and
would like to recommend Sugar to parents I know. However, I have
questions.

1. Can I install SoaS to hard disk?
I know we can install a Linux distribution first, then install Sugar
package. But most parents are Windows folks, right?
People may want to test Sugar in their VirtualBox, VMWare or so.
Booting from virtual CD-ROM and installing into hard disk is the most
intuitive, right? I'm using VirtualBox and SoaS now. I cannot save
anything.
We may need to lock children to Sugar. The hard disk installation is
the most reliable one.
(I know all the issues can be solved with hacks, but this project is
definitely not towards geeks, right?)

2. The HTML version of Sugar manual have broken images. Please fix it.
http://en.flossmanuals.net/sugar/
The PDF version is OK, though.

3. Not a really a question. I find the SugarLabs wiki confusing.
When I discover SoaS, I think Sugar is a Fedora Spin. However, when I
know I can install Sugar in Ubuntu, I think Sugar is a very special
Desktop Environment. So Sugar is somehow similar to KDE while SoaS is
somehow similar to KDE Spin.
People may not understand why you are always talking about LiveUSB with Journal.

Thank you all the contributors in advance!

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs
http://www.sugarlabs.org