[SoaS] [Fwd: SoaS problem with GeoQuiz and TuxMath]

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sun Apr 1 20:42:09 EDT 2012

FYI:

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Mark Battley <mark at ntugigroup.org>
To: morfila at marcosorfila.com
Cc: bernie at sugarlabs.org, holt at laptop.org, Thomas C Gilliard
<satellit at bendbroadband.com>
Subject: SoaS problem with GeoQuiz and TuxMath
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 20:23:13 -0400

Hey Marcos:

Bernie Innocenti suggested I email you after an IRC chat on #Sugar.

I am in BOS for the BookSprint, and I was hoping to do some screencasts
of a variety of Activities from a MacBook Pro running SoaS within
VMware. Most of the Activities are running fine, but when both TuxMath
and GeoQuiz failed, I figured that there might be an underlying issue. I
am very non-techy (I have to be talked through anything in terminal) and
am really a user, not a hacker, so be patient with me. Anyway, let me
know if you think this is something that might be fixed this week so
that I can plan whether  or not we will be able to get it running in
time for the BookSprint.

Here's the chat with the fpaste urls for the log records:

<NtugiMark> I am using SoaS 16-x86_64-Live-SoaS.iso and am having
trouble with Activities that I download and add. For instance GeoQuiz
launches but quits when you try to use the arrow keys to select the
continent, and TuxMath fails immediately after hitting 'play' on the
welcome page. Any idea why?
<NtugiMark> I am using the iso installed in VMware using Terminal, and
all the pre-loaded activites work fine.
<masquerade> NtugiMark: if you could get some logs from the log viewer,
those would be helpful in determining what is going wrong
<bernie> NtugiMark: go to http://fpaste.org and paste them there
Ariel_Calzada joins #sugar
Ariel_Calzada leaves: Client Quit
dirakx joins #sugar
<NtugiMark> masquerade: http://fpaste.org/hMim/
FlaviaMarti-7675 joins #sugar
FlaviaMarti-7675 leaves: Remote host closed the connection
<NtugiMark> masquerade: This was the fail message from GeoQuiz
<bernie> who's the author of GeoQuiz btw?
danielfrancis_ joins #sugar
<NtugiMark> masquerade: This is the TuxMath log when it fails after I
hit 'Play': http://fpaste.org/3kpM/
FlaviaMarti-7675 joins #sugar
<FlaviaMarti-7675> cd.sugar
<bernie> FlaviaMarti-7675: this is not a shell, it's a chat network
<FlaviaMarti-7675> cd default
<FlaviaMarti-7675> nano config
<bernie> FlaviaMarti-7675: no you don't get it... this is not the
terminal
<masquerade> NtugiMark: the GeoQuiz one looks like a bug that may need
to be fixed upstream
<bernie> masquerade: you mean in Sugar? or in GeoQuiz?
<FlaviaMarti-7675> 00FF80
<bernie> FlaviaMarti-7675: dude, listen to me
FlaviaMarti-7675 leaves: Remote host closed the connection
<masquerade> bernie: GeoQuiz
<NtugiMark> GeoQuiz works fine on my 1.5.
FlaviaMarti-7675 joins #sugar
<bernie> masquerade: but mark already has the latest release from aslo
<bernie> FlaviaMarti-7675: habla espanol?
<masquerade> bernie: actually looking more closely, it appears to be a
bug in olpcgames
damason joins #sugar
<bernie> masquerade: hmm... that would explain a few other crashing
activities on mark's SoaS
<masquerade> bernie: it may. It looks like it's a mismatch between
olpcgames and the pygame version. Newer versions of pygame accept a
tuple for rect.move(), while older ones don't.
FlaviaMarti-7675 leaves: Quit: Server missing, presumed dead
<bernie> masquerade: SoaS 16 seems to have olpcgames 1.6.5
<satellit_> bernie: f16 Soas i686 on VirtualBox: TuxMath 1 and 2 .xo:
error when loading shared libraries: libSDL_Pango.so.1
<masquerade> bernie: happen to know which version of pygame? I'm
guessing it's 1.8 maybe
<bernie> satellit_: well, virtualbox or vmware shouldn't matter
<satellit_> ok
<bernie> satellit_: i guess this is the issue we're seeing here. does
pbrobinson know already?
<satellit_> no Idea. I have not tested either of these activities before
<bernie> masquerade: pygame-1.9.1
user-bd65 joins #sugar
user-bd65 leaves: Remote host closed the connection
<bernie> NtugiMark: hey, drop a line to the author: Marcos Orfila
<morfila at marcosorfila.com>
<bernie> NtugiMark: and maybe cc also sugar-devel at lists.sugarlabs.org
<masquerade> Oh oh, I lied, the pygame version doesn't matter, it's just
really a bug in olpcgames
<satellit_> svgsprite line 42  in set SVG TypeError: argument must
contain 2 numbers
walterbender leaves: Remote host closed the connection
<bernie> masquerade: btw, are you an activity developer? i've been
distracted from sugar development lately
<masquerade> bernie: I do some development, but nothing official

Mark Battley
http://ntugigroup.org

--
 _ // Bernie Innocenti