[SoaS] [IAEP] Need Help With SoaS! (Including Mac)

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 09:54:04 EST 2011

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 7:06 PM, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks...
>
> I finally have a couple of days with access to both PCs and my Mac, so now
> is the time to try SoaS!  I need to be able to test it on both the Windows
> machines and the Mac.  After about an hour of reading confusing,
> conflicting, and convoluted info online, I am now thoroughly just that...
> confused, conflicted and convoluted!

Use Live USB creator on your PC.

> This a a cry for help!  First some questions...  and, please, if at all
> possible I don't want to go into terminal. When I try to show this to
> educators at SCaLE 10 X in January that will definitely turn them off.

Prepare it before hand.

> 1) Is there any possibility of using the same SoaS stick on both a PC and a
> Mac with Virtual Box running (on the Mac)? Is there any reason to run
> Virtual Box on a PC to run SoaS?  Would this be a way to get the same usb
> stick to work on both?

If you boot the PC/Mac off a USB key you should be able to use one key for both.

> 2) Some folks have reported being able to get SoaS to run on a Mac with
> persistent storage. Exactly how, in simple terms did they do this?  Virtual
> Box I assume? But, maybe I am mistaken.

Using a USB key with the LiveUSB creator you should be able to use
persistent storage.

> 3) When I set up the Live USB creator parameters, what do you recommend for
> persistent storage?  I am using a 4 GB stick.

4Gb is reasonable.

> 4) Is there an easy way to add Activities to the SoaS build? If so, does
> this need to be done before the stick is created or can they be added later?

After, with persistent storage.

> I'm sure this will be enough to get me started, but there will undoubtedly
> be other questions as I go along.

Peter

BTW I suggest you send emails like this just to the SoaS lists,
there's no need to send it everywhere.