[SoaS] [Sugar-devel] MacBook_Persistent_SoaS_v5_and_SoaS_v6_EFI_Boot_USB ( boots directly from USB )

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 08:03:09 EDT 2011

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> On 02.11.2011, at 12:38, Peter Robinson wrote:

>>> But only under Linux, so far. The livecd-iso-to-disk tool has not been ported to OS X. The iso can be used directly on the Mac but won't have persistence.
>>
>> You can under windows as well.
>
> Which doesn't help Mac users ;^)

My point was that its not ONLY linux. And mac users can dual boot into
either Window or Linux or even run one or the other as a VM and use
USB passthrough....

>>> Disk Utility on the Mac should be able to put a preconfigured image onto a USB stick. May be such an image file (created on Linux) could be made available for Caryl to download?
>>
>> No idea, I don't own a Mac of any description. Donations welcome.
>

> That might be well-spent, indeed.
>
> However, running the livecd-iso-to-disk tool to create an EFI disk image with persistence only requires a Linux box. Maybe this could even be part of the regular automated build process?

the EFI disk image is build automatically. The addition of persistence
requires a USB key. I presume you mean a image to dd out? If so what
sizes do we do? How many variants? How long do we keep them and who's
going to provide the disk space and bandwidth for hosting of them?
This is the same discussion I have regarding the creation of images
for the various virtualisation images. At this point in time the only
universal standard is still ISO and it can be created from most
platforms easily enough. I don't tend to encourage the use of dd
simply due to the fact I've seen too many end users blow away their OS
using it.