[SoaS] VirtualBox, the guest additions installed, but still difficulties to share folder or usb key

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Tue May 10 16:40:03 EDT 2011

Walter Bender wrote:
> There is a Sugar on a Stick list which is actively working on the VM
> images... forwarding your message to that list.
>
> regards.
>
> -walter
>
> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 1:26 PM, laurent bernabe
> <laurent.bernabe at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> i installed sugar trisquel on virtual box for Kubuntu. Then i installed
>> guest additions.
>> But i try to share a folder and a usb key between Kubuntu 11.04 and my
>> virtual machine, without success :

I find that getting a USB stick to work in VirtualBox 4.0.4 can be
complicated.

 >A usb is not sharable but is accessed from the PC or the Sugar-VM; not
both at the same time.<

1-) click on the icon for the  additions you downloaded:

http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.0.6/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.0.6-71344.vbox-extpack
   this will install the additions.
2-) insert the USB stick you plan to use; click on the the VirtualBox
Appliance you plan to use DO NOT START IT
3-) click on settings /ports/usb hit the (+) and select the name for the
USB you inserted
4-)REMOVE THE USB from your PC
5-)Start the Virtual Appliance
6-)INSERT the USB
7-)The USB will appear in the left bottom of the sugar window under the
frame after it retracts when you click on the journal icon on the top frame.
8-) click on the icons in the left bottom of the sugar window ( journal
or usb) to drag drop items from one to the other.
9-)To access the USB on your PC click on the USB icon on the bottom left
of the sugar window and select remove from the pop-up menu.

I cannot help with a shared folder other than use the Settings of an
un-started VM to select a PC folder in VirtualBox.

Hope this helps

Tom Gilliard
satellit on #sugar IRC freenode