[SoaS] [Sugar-devel] new SoaSv5 test image - Last change to test andfix issues

Art Hunkins abhunkin at uncg.edu
Mon Jun 13 16:21:48 EDT 2011

Thanks for the new SoaS5 test. Here is my experience:

1) No more keyrings (cheers) - for me anyway.

2) No GDM login (cheers) - again, for me anyway.

3) Main issue #1: Csound "still" uses the new cursor. (I gather Csound remains to be rebuilt with (scons option) buildRelease=1. At least, that's what Victor Lazzarini says.) Otherwise I'll need to add the --old-parser flag to all my (6) activities - which I'd prefer not to do uniquely for this release. I'd certainly hope this can be adjusted before SoaS5 release.

4) Main issue #2: activities only start 50% of the time. This is true for *all* activities. It's not clear why an activity will start one time and not another (it prints "didn't start" message). With Mango Lassi, this happens occasionally/rarely for me; here it happens *a lot*.

I thought maybe this had something to do with the USB drives I'd made with LiveUSB Creator. It doesn't. I created two: one 2GB, one 4GB with all memory protected.

5) Noted difference in Journal: hovering over an entry does nothing; a right-click on an entry does nothing. Only a left-click resumes the activity - normally the one it originated in (see 5 below). Apparently you cannot erase from the Journal (except by clicking on the rightmost arrow, to another page), nor resume in a different activity any more. I appreciated those features.

6) Record (audio) continues to cause me problems. Record apparently records correctly (or does it?) but does not play back. When a recording is "resumed" from the Journal, it resumes (not in Record) but in either Surf or Etoys, depending on whether it was saved automatically from Record, or as a clipping that was kept. In any case, no activity plays the "recorded" file. Go figure. (One possibility: Record seems to be interchanging Ogg Vorbis and Ogg Speex formats - ugh.) FWIW, here's the complete Record log (seems to involve the Dbus and an elapsed timeout):

** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (GstObject)
** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (HippoCanvasBox)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/sugar-activity", line 21, in <module>
    main.main()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sugar/activity/main.py", line 158, in main
    create_activity_instance(activity_constructor, activity_handle)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sugar/activity/main.py", line 37, in create_activity_instance
    activity = constructor(handle)
  File "/usr/share/sugar/activities/Record.activity/record.py", line 66, in __init__
    super(Record, self).__init__(handle)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sugar/activity/activity.py", line 328, in __init__
    warn_if_none=False)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sugar/presence/presenceservice.py", line 89, in get_activity
    dbus_interface=CONN_INTERFACE_ACTIVITY_PROPERTIES)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 68, in __call__
    return self._proxy_method(*args, **keywords)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 140, in __call__
    **keywords)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 630, in call_blocking
    message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)
Exited with status 1, pid 1841 data (None, <open file '<fdopen>', mode 'w' at 0xdf70e38>, dbus.ByteArray('1e429af21558998191b528d4c9c3b5572f388430', variant_level=1))

Art Hunkins