[SoaS] Sugar on a netbook

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Sat Jul 16 12:02:16 EDT 2011

Karl;

Recommended:

A-)Trisquel:
 >http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Trisquel_On_A_Sugar_Toast
 Note: Trisquel free so has no proprietary software. even though it is
Ubuntu based

Sugar ONLY:
trisquel-sugar_4.5.1:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Trisquel_On_A_Sugar_Toast#trisquel-sugar_4.5.1_i686
Download:
  http://devel.trisquel.info/sugar/

Gnome and Sugar:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Trisquel_On_A_Sugar_Toast#Trisquel_4.5_LTS-Gnome_Desktop_with_sweets_sugar_0.88.1
 You need to install sugar 0.88.1 sweets (a bit complicated)

B-)Ubuntu Gnome with sugar-sweets 0.88.1
You need to install sugar 0.88.1 sweets (a bit complicated)
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Community/Distributions/Ubuntu#Sugar-desktop_0.88_on_Ubuntu_10.04_and_10.10
(Has non free drivers available. Not quite as polished )

C-)Mandriva: Gnome and sugar
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Community/Distributions/Mandriva#Mandriva_Linux_release_2010.2_.28Sugar_0.88.0.29
You need to install sugar 0.88.x (easy to do)

D-)Also look at VirtualBox 4 prebuilt Appliances:
(Just import them) platform agnostic.
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Creation_Kit#VirtualBox_Virtualization
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Emulator_image_files

Trick: install to an usb external HD then you can boot from it and have
multiple OS's with sugar.
That is what I do here on my ACER ASPIRE ONE N450

Enjoy;
Tom Gilliard
satellit