[SoaS] want to contribute to Sugar on a Stick - introducing myself

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 09:57:36 EDT 2011

Hi Kalpa,

> I am Kalpa Welivitigoda from Sri Lanka.
>
> I was searching for a FOSS project to contribute on and I came across
> Sugar on a Stick through OpenHatch.
>
> I am involved in Fedora Project [1] , Mozilla Firefox and have
> contributed in lokalizing  some of the other projects including
> OpenOffice, pidgin, GNOME etc. Apart from them I am active on Hanthana
> Linux [2], a local project. Hanthana is a remix of Fedora. I attend
> FOSS related events and talk about FOSS to make the public aware. I
> currently write to two local e-magazines (FOSS User [3] and Hanthana+,
> yet to be released.)
>
> In technical aspects, I am familiar with java and python and uses
> Fedora as my primary and only OS. In Sugar on a Stick I hope to make
> use of my python knowledge and learn more on python. I also wish to
> package applications and actually I have done one related to fedora
> Sound SIG [4]. But it is not upstream yet since there are some more
> sound tracks to be added. I wish to learn further on packaging also.
>
> So at the moment the ways I can contribute to Sugar on a Stick will be with;
> 1) testing
> 2) fixing bugs or adding new features to existing activities (depend
> on the level of python expertise needed)
> 3) packaging activities for fedora
>
> I am reading for my BSc of Eng degree major in Electrical Engineering
> and I wish to contribute to FOSS in my leisure time.
>
> My irc nickname is callkalpa
>
> Please help me get started!

Welcome! I'd be more than happy to help get you started. There's all
sorts of things to do to get started.

1) We can never do enough testing! We have nightly builds of SoaS that
are available at the link below. All feed back to the mailing list is
great, fixes to any bugs is even better :-)

http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/soas/

2) Fixing and adding of features is very welcome. Some of the things
that come directly to mind is improved internationalisation support
with in SoaS, some means within the UI to update the OS. I'm sure I
have more that don't come direct to mind at the moment.

I have a few ideas so feel free to ping me on IRC if you want to
discuss it some more. My nick is pbrobinson and I'm usually hanging
out in #fedora-mobility or #sugar

3) For packaging you can see what's currently packages with "yum list
sugar*" and anything not in that list it would be great to package. If
your interested in assisting in maintaining existing packages that
would be great!

But of course your not restricted to that, I'm open to other ideas as well.

Welcome aboard.

Regards,