[SoaS] Missing gettext dependency needed for localised activities

pbrobinson at gmail.com pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 11:49:56 EDT 2010

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Gary Martin <garycmartin at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 18 Sep 2010, at 10:52, "pbrobinson at gmail.com" <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 9:57 PM, Gary C Martin
>> <garycmartin at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> Just wanted to email this ticket out and make sure the gettext package makes it into the Soas and Dextrose distros. Without it none of the activity po files will be built at bundle install time, thus failing to create the locale directory binary .mo files. Without this, activity translations will not work. This appears to be a break going back to at least Soas Mirabelle.
>>
>> Yep, it was dropped in Mirabelle because it pulled in horrific
>> dependencies and when I asked about it I was told it was historical
>> and that all the Activities should be pre-generating the translations
>> and that they shouldn't generated on local install.
>
> Ouch, that is news to me, no wonder activity localization is broken. Can you point me to the thread/ticket/wiki with that discussion? Including the binary .mo locale files in the source and/or .xo bundles is, to the best of my knowledge, not the usual workflow for activity releases.

Well it seems that Activities are different from the rest of the open
source world then. gettext is from what others have told me a
development tool not designed to be for runtime. The pre-compiled
Activity rpms have them all generated so its not a problem in base
SoaS.

> FWIW: when I yum installed gettext in Dextrose, it was just 2-3Mb I think, didn't pull in anything else other than gettext. Mirabelle was 5-6Mb and did pull in a few extra dependencies.

Well that has changed since the original F-13 release because of me
bitching and a new release of gettext. It use to depend on cvs which
in turn pulls in perl and there was some other deps as well. So we've
improved recently. I'll re-review the decisions.