[SoaS] [IAEP] [MARKETING] Get Sugar landing page

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 15 19:53:38 EDT 2010

Hi...
I have been advocating for SoaS to run on both Intel and PowerPC platforms all along.  I think Sugar Labs has done pretty well with getting it up and running on the Intel machines and should continue working in that direction.  At the same time, there are still a lot of the old PowerPC Macs floating around. They are well built and last a long time. It is pretty hard to convince a principal (or superintendent or school board) that they should buy new hardware if the old stuff is still working... especially in these lean times.
There are some folks in SoCal who are playing around with getting Sugar to run on the old Macs.  They were inspired when someone was given a set of the old Mac "clamshell" machines.  So far they haven't reported back whether they have had any success, but I know they are working on it.  Most of these are folks who met Sugar at the Southern California Linux Expo (SCaLE) in the last 2 years.
I'd like to remind all of you that SCaLE 9X will take place at the Los Angeles Airport Hilton Hotel on Feb 25-27, 2011.  It would be great if some of you from Sugar Labs could attend, and even present.  There are a lot of open-source advocates in the Southern California area, and this is the time and place to encourage them to volunteer some time with Sugar Labs.  Here is a link to the Call For Papers if you would like to do a presentation:
http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale9x/blog/scale-9x-call-papers

There will probably also be a OLPC/SugarLabs booth again. Volunteers to help there would be very welcome!
Caryl