[SoaS] [Sugar-devel] SoaS 4 - Mango Lassi is out.

DancesWithCars danceswithcars at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 15:15:49 EST 2010

thanks for the reply.

More inline

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 1:16 PM, DancesWithCars
> <danceswithcars at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 3:08 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> This list will cover it on most architectures but there is a lot of
>>> difference in "Mac" so could you be a little more specific? We should
>>> work just fine on most modern intel based Macs.
>>>
>> those that don't have Macs,
>> newer macs in particular may
>> not care to hear about all the
>> stuff on different architectures.
>>
>> Also porting to a QuartzX11 based
>> environment, which has it's own
>> platform issues.
>
> SoaS in a complete solution including the OS so QuartzX11 has got
> nothing to do with this. I think you are enquiring about running the
> Sugar interface on MacOSX which is completely different to and
> unrelated to running SoaS on the Mac hardware platform.

The QuartzX11 idea is for an emulator
like metacity and jhbuild environments on fedora and Linux based
OS platforms.  Also a little like the Sugar and Gnome
environment with the current XO1&1.5 ISO & firmware
but able to run both at the same time (jhbuild & metacity like).

>>> Why wouldn't it work? We normally put all announcements to the
>>> marketing list although they've been some what quiet of late.
>>>
>> Maybe it's an image issue, in the public awareness sense,
>> maybe Sugar isn't publicized as working on Mac platform outside
>> of virtualization?
>
> It doesn't work on OSX.

But wouldn't it be nice if it did? ;-)

>> But the interface is similar ease of use,
>> the Apple heritage of educational use
>> (noted
>
> Yes but a kettle and a toaster are of a kitchen heritage and of use
> for making breakfast but you don't class them as the same.

Both used for cooking & heating...
Yes, different appliances.

>> FWIW, I'm rather old school Mac
>> (old world Beige G3 Macs 6 Gig HD,
>> PowerBook 180, LC etc,
>> which might  be the class machine that
>> is around $100 used :-)
>> if not technically considered Antiques,
>> as cars are defined by decades,
>> computers are like dog years,
>> much quicker, IMO.
>
> Sugar would work on PPC platforms. Fedora 12 is the last version of
> Fedora that had PPC as a supported primary platform. Sugar will quite
> happily work on PPC without issue, in terms of supported platforms its
> not currently an aim of SoaS due to limited resources to work on it
> but it shouldn't be hard for someone to do.

Thanks, didn't know about the PPC support End Of Life support
issues...

>> instead of new MacBookPros in the $1k range,
>> Airs and iPad Tablets slightly under that,
>
> So look at netbooks, you can get them a lot cheaper than the 1K range
> and they will easily work on SoaS.

Still waiting on XO 1.5 to be available to the common
man/ woman/ child, and not just betas
and in units of  100's ...

HINT, HINT: G1G1 XO 1.5...
It's that time of year, and all the people I talk
with ask how to get them and I have to say,
don't know...

It's been years and my original G1G1 is mobo
dead, so how do the original donors
get newer and more hardware???

>> and back in the day Apple II,  Fat Mac
>> and MacIvory, most of which are pre USB...
>> so forget memory sticks, and CDROM/
>> CDR reading for that matter, maybe stuff
>> it in on parallel/ serial or put on drive
>> before reinstall HD and see what python
>> might/ could work..
>
> I doubt it will work on those.

Yeah, a bit retrocomputing,