[SoaS] [Marketing] Introduction of MIT graduate team working with Sugar Labs

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 11:39:34 EST 2010

Hello,

This is lovely news, thank you for getting involved.  A related
question you might consider:

How to increase awareness of the need for better [open] educational
tools, interfaces, and other innovations for children.

 - That general idea of improving innovations for children is
compelling and meaningful to every parent.  Yet most parents have no
idea that such a movement to  exists.  And the more general frame
welcomes other approaches (kde-edu and edubuntu for instance) that are
part of their own well-known projects.
 - All else being equal, open means better, and this is an easy point
to sell.  But since even closed tools and interfaces are fairly
limited and underdeveloped, there is no need to qualify the need --
current tools for children do not suffice.

Sam.

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Julie Lein <j2ulie at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Sugar Community,
>
> We are MBA candidates at MIT working with Sugar Labs to help generate
> awareness for the organization as an independent, open-source educational
> innovator for children. To do this, we would love your input!
>
> We will be sending out a brief survey to assess how Sugar and Sugar Labs are
> perceived by those who know them best. We would be very grateful if you
> would take a few moments of your time to share your perspectives with us.
> We will use your input to generate strategic recommendations for how Sugar
> Labs can increase its reach throughout the global community.
>
> From a personal level, we all came to Sugar Labs due to our passion for
> education and international development.  Alex previously served in the
> Peace Corps, Laura worked at a non-profit, Julie served on the Board of an
> educational non-profit for low-income students, and Parul has worked in
> software development with an educational focus.  We are passionate about
> Sugar Labs’ mission and are very excited to be working with you!
>
> We will be following this e-mail with our survey. Please feel free to
> contact us with any questions.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Alexandra Fallon (afallon at mit.edu)
> Laura Guaglianone (lguaglia at mit.edu)
> Julie Lein (j2ulie at mit.edu)
> Parul Singh (parul at mit.edu)

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266